Five Essential Electricity Safety Tips
More than 1000 fatal electricity accidents occur every year in Australia and many of these are due to avoidable causes. With some basic training and information, you can avoid becoming a statistic. On that note, below are five essential electricity safety tips to implement today.
Cover outlets and sockets, especially if there are small children at home: Light switch covers and wall plates aren’t there to make your sockets look better. Their role is to ensure that exposed skin or debris don’t come into contact with the exposed wires. A metal utensil or fingers shouldn’t be stuck into the sockets as this can lead to electric shock and hence serious injury or even death.
Replace old or damaged equipment: Any appliances or equipment that have frayed wires, frequently short circuit, give small shocks or sparks aren’t safe for use. They should be gotten rid of, especially if they are old. You can consult with a licensed electrical technician in Melbourne to see if the root problem can be examined and fixed in the case of damaged equipment. If not, get rid of damaged appliances and buy new ones. It’s also a good idea to have your equipment, bit at work and at home, inspected regularly by a professional.
Know the structure and requirements of your property: Make it your goal to get educated on how wires, circuit breakers, and fuses are set up. In addition to improved safety, this allows you to know where to plug and not plug powerful appliances and tools. It’s also beneficial in that it helps know how to match the wattage of the light bulbs to the lamps. The wattages are usually printed around the light bulb sockets. Using bulbs with equal or less wattage is one of the effective ways of avoiding circuit overload.
Yes professionals, no DIY: Unless you are a licensed or trained electrician, don’t attempt DIY electrical work at your home or business premises. Enlisting the help of an experienced electrician is the best bet you have when it comes to foxing electrical problems safely as they inspect everything so as to locate the root of the problem.
Don’t overwhelm the power outlets: Avoid plugging too many appliances or using extension cords as this can lead to circuit overload, which can, in turn, lead to an electrical fire, blown fuse or overheating. If you have to use extension cords, be sure to limit their use while working.