Energy Saving Tips For Your Laundry
Nobody disputes that washing machines are extremely efficient. They save up on time, effort as well as money. That however, does not dismiss the fact that they are one of the greatest contributors to household energy consumption. For that reason, it is necessary that you come up with more efficient ways of doing your laundry so as to save up on energy and reduce the costs. The following tips should be of help.
- Always check the amount of water you use to ensure that you use the least amount necessary for your needs. At the same time, use the shortest possible cycle to complete your washing. Overall, this reduces the amount of time that you use to wash clothes.
- Unless you are dealing with greasy stains, always use cold or warm water. Some detergents do not work so well with cold water so it will be beneficial that you find a suitable one.
- If your clothes are heavily soiled or stained, soak them before you put them in the washing machine. You might have to rub off stains on the collars and other prominent areas before loading the machine. This avoids having to redo your laundry because the clothes did not come out clean.
- Wait until the load is up to capacity before doing laundry. People are fond of under loading the machine and wasting energy doing small loads at a time. Confirm the load capacity of the machine and try to match the laundry load to that capacity.
- Check the type of clothes in the machine while drying them. Depending on the material, some will dry faster than others and it is therefore an energy efficient idea to dry similar materials at the same time. While we are on drying, use the heat conservatively by loading consecutive loads. This ensures that the heat from the first load is used up by the second and so on.
- On the issue of drying, unless completely necessary, do not wait until the clothes are completely dry. Instead, hang them outside while they are still damp. If the weather is conducive, you might as well skip machine drying altogether for solar drying. Hanging the clothes out to dry completely saves up the energy that would have been spent during machine drying.
- Wait until you are completely done with the cleaning before you get into the drying. This makes sure that you do not have to add on wet clothes to almost dry ones as that only drags the process on for longer.