Energy Saving Tips For Your Home Lighting
A lot of the energy spent at home comes from lighting, which most people deem negligible. In reality, it is not as negligible as you might think. Saving the energy spent on lighting is a very efficient way of saving up on energy costs. The tips outlined below could really come in handy.
- Turn off the lights around the house if you are not occupying that room. It is also not necessary to have the lights on at all times, even if you are occupying a room, unless absolutely necessary. For instance, while watching a movie, it is a good idea to turn off the lights. The same goes for the lights outside the house.
- Replace the traditional light bulbs with more efficient and energy saving options. Many options are available today such as LED and CFL bulbs.
- Utilise natural light to its fullest potential. Instead of turning on the lights during the day, early morning or late evening, you could open the blinds and curtains. Similarly, you might want to invest in translucent roofing for better utilisation of natural lighting.
- Invest in multiple switches for multiple light bulbs. Each bulb should have its own switch. This helps in avoiding having to turn on multiple lights when all you need is one. On the same note, if a room has two entrance and exit points, it is more efficient to have a two-way switch. This way, you can switch the light on and off more efficiently.
- Instead of having multiple light bulbs for a single room, have one that is centrally placed in such a way that it provides light to the entire room. The same goes for outside and security lights. If you find that the light is too dull, you might want to clean the bulb and any of the fixtures before opting to replace it or install more bulbs. Dust and dirt surrounding the bulb or fixtures can limit the lighting efficiency of the bulb.
- Use automatic lights for outside or security lights. Coupling the lights with motion sensors ensures that they do not remain on for the entire night. Instead, they come on automatically when necessary. Having a photo sensor also ensures that they do not stay on during the day, in the event that you forget to turn them off.
- Purchase light switches with adjustable lighting ranges so that you adjust the light according to your requirements. For instance, you can use a dim light when having dinner.